woensdag, februari 28, 2007

My edge

In the comments someone asked me what I think my edge against (most) other players is and why I'm winning and some others not....

This is a question I ask myself a lot as well and also makes me a little afraid.
I have a background in the financial world and one of the things you learn there is the efficient market theory. In a lot of ways the pokerworld is comparable to a stock exchange but somehow in the pokerworld the world is not efficient at all.

All the information is available to everybody but somehow, there are people who don't use all those information. Some people just don't care because they wanne gamble. Others don't have the time to study the game and so on.

The thing that makes me afraid is that making so much money as easy as with poker HAS to make the 'market' more effecient in the long run. Players are gonna get better and losing players will leave the market. The question is.....what is the long run in poker (6 months or 3 years?????)

Offcourse not everyone can be a winning poker player, some skills that you need to have to be a winning player are:

* Having great discipline (the most important thing I would say)
* Analytical (good with numbers)
* Eager to learn and improve your game
* Flexible (able to adjust to different situations)
* Mentally stable

And remember this:
* Winning players see a bad beat as a reason to play more poker and losing players see a bad beat as a reason to quit poker.

Then my first month as a pro....although I only played 2,5 weeks this month, due to my holiday, I still exceeded my expectation by far.

February only:
Hands played : 65,980
$ Won in cashgames : $19,447.33
PTBB/100 : 6,85
MT ratio : 7,17
Hourly win rate: $183,26

GOALS MARCH 2007:
Play 100K hands with a profit of $25K

4 opmerkingen:

Edmuntus zei

Coole blog. Leuke inkijk in het pokerleven. Ik werk zelf ook in de financiƫle sector en kan me wel aansluiten bij jouw beredenering.

Succes met je doelstellingen voor maart.

Edme

Panic zei

Dit geeft inderdaad een goed inzicht in de oorzaken van jouw edge over andere spelers. En het leuke is het klinkt zo simpel, maar het toepassen ervan is zo moeilijk.

Edmuntus zei

Maurice,

Las je interview in het AD. Goed artikel. Complimenten!!!

Is dit geworden zoals je het wilde?

Ik vind het een neutraal artikel, waarbij zeker geen negatieve ondertoon zit. Dit is denk ik nav de oproep van de AD journalist op het forum. Goed gedaan!

Groeten,

Edme

Unknown zei

Hey, zou je even contact met me willen opnemen op xsbymeathotmaildotcom. Ik heb wat vragen voor je. Alvast bedankt!