donderdag, augustus 30, 2007

Nut draw in a re-raised pot

Yesterday I got an interesting call when I pushed the nutdraw in a re-raised pot.
I thin my play in the hand is totally standard, but I was kind of suprised about the call of my opponent who is a regular at this tables and with which I played a lot.

EverestPoker Game #2003266942: Table Bamako-7 - $2.00/$4.00 - No Limit Hold'em - 10:49:24 - 2007/08/29
Seat 3: BldZwtTrn ($454.20)
Seat 4: Panettiere ($382.00)
Seat 5: Misbehave ($374.50)-> 19/15/2 (1000+ hands)
Seat 6: MARC49 ($426.50)
Panettiere posts the small blind of $2.00
Misbehave posts the big blind of $4.00
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BldZwtTrn[Qs As]
MARC49 folds
BldZwtTrn raises to $14.00
Panettiere folds
Misbehave raises to $44.00
BldZwtTrn calls $30.00
The pre-flop play here is standard, I open on the button and got re-raised by a regular who knows my range is quite big here. So I figure my AQs is good here (worse aces are in his range here) so I make the call.
*** FLOP *** [8s 5c Ks]
Misbehave bets $48.00
BldZwtTrn raises to $200.00
I flop the nut flush draw and make a raise here which obviously commits myself here.
Misbehave raises to $330.50 and is all-in
He makes the push after running his timebank down.
BldZwtTrn calls $130.50
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Misbehave shows [Kh Th]
BldZwtTrn shows [Qs As]
*** TURN *** [8s 5c Ks] [8h]
*** RIVER *** [8s 5c Ks 8h] [3h]
*** SUMMARY ***
Board: [8s 5c Ks 8h 3h]
Misbehave collects $749.00

So he made the call with KTs. Which is about as good as 99-QQ on this board. His explanation was that I never have a king here and although this is probably true 95% of the time it's still a bad call vs my range here.

So what is my range here....well I could offcourse have the nutflushdraw (AQs/AJs and maybe ATs), or have hit a nice combodraw with some small SC's (76s, 87s, 97s, 98s). But the most scary hands for him are offcourse AA/88 and 55 (less likely probably with <90BB stacks).

So hit pot-odds are $282/$750 (he knows I'm not folding there). So that's about 38% what he needs here vs my range to make this push +EV.

Lets see how this works out in pokerstove. I decided to let 55 out, as I'm not calling 100% here with small PP. Against this range he has about 32% which is not enough to make this call +EV or he has to think that I'm on a total bluff here a lot.

So although he thinks correctly that I probably don't have a king here this still doesn't make this a call, because he is basically flipping at best, because if have the nut draw, I have an extra ace as out and if I have a lower draw I very often have a pair here as well.

Board: Ks 8s 5c
Dead:
equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 32.591% 32.59% 00.00% 5485 0.00 { KhTh }
Hand 1: 67.409% 67.41% 00.00% 11345 0.00 { AA, 88, AsQs, AsJs, AsTs, QsJs, JsTs, Ts9s, 9s8s, 9s7s, 8s7s, 7s6s }

---
16,830 games 0.005 secs 3,366,000 games/sec
Board: Ks 8s 5c
Dead:
equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 32.591% 32.59% 00.00% 5485 0.00 { KhTh }
Hand 1: 67.409% 67.41% 00.00% 11345 0.00 { AA, 88, AsQs, AsJs, AsTs, QsJs, JsTs, Ts9s, 9s8s, 9s7s, 8s7s, 7s6s }

10 opmerkingen:

ciro zei

Interessante hand, leuk om te analyseren. Een vraagje over de gebruikte ranges: waarom laat je KK AK AKs KQ KQs uit jouw range weg, en zou je zijn 3bet altijd met 88/97s callen?

Je schrijft zelf "that I'm on a total bluff here a lot". Zou je nooit op een pure bluff hier raisen? Met jouw range komt hij op 33.5% equity uit, en hij heeft 38% nodig, dus met zo'n 8% kans op bluff (soms wint jouw ATC bluff het nog) is het al break-even toch?

Panic zei

Interessante analyse, nu hij volgens deze analyse tegen de odds in callt, betekent dat dan dat jij op de lange termijn winst maakt op deze hand?

Claudius zei

Ik weet het niet hoor, call jij een rr met een een one gapper?
Denk dat dat op zich hier _EV is, omdat hij ook geen top hand hoeft te hebben.
Ik ben absoluut niet verbaasd dat hij hier callt.

Anoniem zei

What are your thoughts on pushing with nut flush draw + possible overcard(s)? Does the stack of the villain have to be a certain size, how do you weigh the odds etc.

I played a pot yesterday at NL25 where I and another bigstack (we each had about $50) came to the flop where I held AKs and he (apparently) had a set of sixes.

Ofcourse his set makes things worse for me, but I couldn't know that pre-push. Part from the flush draw I also had both over cards.

Anyway no flush card hit and I lost my stack as opposed to winning his.

Maurice zei

@ claudius

Als je hier met KT callt, dan call je ook met TT-QQ neem ik aan in equity scheelt dat namelijk nauwelijks.
Verder kan ik hier best 97s hebben, dat is tenslotte mijn favo hand ;-)
Verder is KK/AK ook zeker niet uitgesloten en de kans dat ik hier op een totale bluf zit is zeer klein.

Blijf erbij dat zijn call absoluut -ev is hier en ik vraag me af of iedereen die zegt dat KT een call/push is, dit ook met JJ/QQ doet.

Maurice zei

@ jop

Ik win hier inderdaad wat g-bucks als mijn range voor ligt op zijn hand en hoe ik ook blijf pokerstoven ik kom niet boven de 38% uit.

ciro zei

@ Mike

Als je KK en AK ook in jouw range stopt wordt het idd helemaal dramatisch voor hem en moet je belachelijk vaak bluffen voor een goede call van hem. Interressant is nog dat als hij QQ heeft ipv KT de kans op een K bij jou groter is, waardoor mijn QQ stove nog slechtere equity heeft.

Claudius zei

He mike, je hebt helemaal gelijk hoor. Ik heb ook even met pokerstove gespeeld en hij ligt inderdaad ver achter tegen je range. Ben blij met je post, want ik had echt het idee dat dit vrij close is.

PS. 87ss en 89ss wel even uit je range laten als de 8s op het board ligt he ;)

Unknown zei

Ha Mike,

Hmmm.. slechte call/shove dus van mij. Interessante analyse.

Groetjes,
Misbehave

PS ik ben geen hij maar een zij

Maurice zei

Haha excuses Lizet, dat was dan een behoorlijke misread van mijn kant.